How Do I Begin?
The following information and much more is contained in Guide to Doing Business in Park Ridge.
- Determine whether the location you have chosen is suitable and properly zoned for the business you want to open.
- If not, you may need to appear before the Planning and Zoning Commission to request a special use permit or a text amendment to the Zoning Ordinance to allow your business in this location.
- You may need to appear before the Zoning Board of Appeals if your location lacks sufficient parking to comply with the Zoning Ordinance or if you are constructing a new building and you cannot meet setback requirements.
- Will you need to remodel the space or build new?
- If so, a Building Permit will be required.
- A new building would also need approval from the Appearance Commission before a Building Permit could be issued.
- When a new building is constructed or an addition constructed in the office or business districts, a site plan review is required before the Planning and Zoning Commission.
- All restaurants must receive a site plan review from the Planning and Zoning Commission.
- Decorating such as painting, carpeting, or replacing plumbing or electrical fixtures do not require a Building Permit.
- Is your business regulated by the Health Authority?
- The Health Authority will review the building permit applications of Health Regulated businesses for compliance with Health Regulations. Ensure that the information needed for a Health Review is submitted with your Building Permit Application. After completion, the Health Authority will inspect your establishment before issuing a Health Permit or Business License.
- Does your business include the sale of alcoholic beverages?
- If so, a Liquor License will be required.
- Will you be installing a sign to advertise your business?
- If so, you will need to present your proposed sign to the Appearance Commission before applying for a Building Permit to erect a sign.
- Will you be installing an alarm system?
- If so, you must register your alarm with the Police Department.
- How do you obtain a City License?
- The environmental health division issues business licenses and health permits.