Doing Business

How Do I Begin?

The following information and much more is contained in Guide to Doing Business in Park Ridge.

  1. Determine whether the location you have chosen is suitable and properly zoned for the business you want to open.
    • If not, you may need to appear before the Planning and Zoning Commission to request a special use permit or a text amendment to the Zoning Ordinance to allow your business in this location.
    • You may need to appear before the Zoning Board of Appeals if your location lacks sufficient parking to comply with the Zoning Ordinance or if you are constructing a new building and you cannot meet setback requirements.
  2. Will you need to remodel the space or build new?
    • If so, a Building Permit will be required.
    • A new building would also need approval from the Appearance Commission before a Building Permit could be issued.
    • When a new building is constructed or an addition constructed in the office or business districts, a site plan review is required before the Planning and Zoning Commission.
    • All restaurants must receive a site plan review from the Planning and Zoning Commission.
    • Decorating such as painting, carpeting, or replacing plumbing or electrical fixtures do not require a Building Permit.
  3. Is your business regulated by the Health Authority?
    • The Health Authority will review the building permit applications of Health Regulated businesses for compliance with Health Regulations. Ensure that the information needed for a Health Review is submitted with your Building Permit Application. After completion, the Health Authority will inspect your establishment before issuing a Health Permit or Business License.
  4. Does your business include the sale of alcoholic beverages?
    • If so, a Liquor License will be required.
  5. Will you be installing a sign to advertise your business?
    • If so, you will need to present your proposed sign to the Appearance Commission before applying for a Building Permit to erect a sign.
  6. Will you be installing an alarm system?
    • If so, you must register your alarm with the Police Department.
  7. How do you obtain a City License?
    • The environmental health division issues business licenses and health permits.


Stay Connected!
View More News


9/11 Service of Remembrance
The Park Ridge Police and Fire Departments invite you to a 9/11 Service of Remembrance.​
Park Ridge Police Receive Illinois Traffic Safety Challenge Distracted Driving Award
In the 2014 Illinois Traffic Safety Challenge, Park Ridge was presented with the special category award for distracted driving.​
School’s Back in Session, and Park Ridge Police Ask Motorists to Please Drive Carefully
With students returning to school, motorists will see an increase in children crossing streets, riding bikes and boarding school buses.
Property Tax Appeal Seminar - Learn how to appeal your property taxes based on Airplane Noise
Presented by FaIR Allocation in Runways (FAiR) Coalition in conjunction with the office of Cook County Commissioner Bridget Gainer (10th Dist).
City Manager Hamilton Announces Savings Through Bond Refinance
The City of Park Ridge refunded bonds this week that will reduce City debt payments by an average of over $80,000 per year over 12 years.
Park Ridge Police begin Labor Day crackdown on drunk drivers and seat belt law violators
The Park Ridge Police announced plans for enhanced Labor Day Holiday traffic enforcement, focusing on both drunk and unbuckled drivers.
Park Ridge Home Page
Park Ridge City Hall, 505 Butler Place, Park Ridge, IL 60068|Directions|847-318-5200|Hours: Mon - Fri: 8:00am - 5:00pm
©2014 City of Park Ridge. All Rights Reserved. | Web site design and development by