Park Ridge Fire Department Responds to Outdoor Fire in 500 block of N Washington Avenue

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 2:47 p.m., the Park Ridge Fire Department responded to a call from the 500 block of N. Washington Avenue for a reported outdoor fire near the home. PRFD companies arrived at the scene in less than four minutes from the time of the 9-1-1 call and found a single family home with an exterior fire along the wood fence. The fire was involving a section of fence and had also begun to extend to a neighboring propane grill. The bulk of the fire was extinguished by residents, including the homeowner, utilizing fire extinguishers.


Park Ridge Fire Department investigators have completed their investigation and classified the fire as accidental. The fire was the caused by hot ashes placed into a plastic container, which ignited and spread to adjacent combustibles including the fence and grill cover. At this point, the total fire loss is estimated at $1,000.


This incident highlights a common cause of fires in our City- the improper disposal of ashes or coals from a fireplace or fire pit. In order to properly dispose of ashes or coals we recommend the following:

  • Allow ashes and coals to cool in any fireplace or outdoor fire pit for several days if possible. These devices are designed to contain heat safely.
  • When it is time to dispose of the ashes, transfer them to a metal container and wet them down. Keep the metal container outside your home and away from any combustibles for several days until completely cool.


 
 
Park Ridge Home Page
Park Ridge City Hall, 505 Butler Place, Park Ridge, IL 60068|Directions|847-318-5200|Hours: Mon - Fri: 8:00am - 5:00pm
©2019 City of Park Ridge. All Rights Reserved. | Web site design and development by Americaneagle.com