Print Page Share

Holiday and Christmas Tree Fire Safety


Decorating homes and businesses is a long-standing tradition around the holiday season. Unfortunately, these same decorations may increase your chances of fire.
Following a few simple fire safety tips can keep electric lights, candles and the ever popular Christmas tree from creating a tragedy.


·         Don’t put your live Christmas tree up too early or leave it up for longer than two weeks.
·         Place trees away from heat sources, including fireplaces or heat vents. The heat will dry out the tree, causing it to be more easily ignited by heat, flame or sparks.
·         Keep the live tree stand filled with water at all times. 
·         Use only nonflammable decorations.
·         Don’t link more than three light strands, unless the directions indicate it’s safe. Connect strings of lights to an extension cord before plugging the cord into the outlet.
·         Avoid using lit candles; consider using battery-operated flameless candles, which can look, smell and feel like real candles  
·         Ensure that Christmas trees and other holiday decorations don’t block an exit way.


For more tips on how to prevent a holiday fire and what to do in case a fire starts in your home, visit the U.S. Fire Administration's website at ww​
Authority of Fire Chief Michael Zywanski
Information Contact Lieutenant Kevin Plach, Fire Marshal at (847) 318-5286




Park Ridge Home Page
Park Ridge City Hall, 505 Butler Place, Park Ridge, IL 60068|Directions|847-318-5200|Hours: Mon - Fri: 8:00am - 5:00pm
©2021 City of Park Ridge. All Rights Reserved. | Web site design and development by