Animal Licenses and Policies

Cats and Dogs
These regulations* are intended to prevent pets from becoming public nuisances and to control the diseases these animals are capable of transmitting to humans.

Licensing: All dogs and cats must be licensed annually with the City for a fee of $10.00 per year. The animal's Cook County Rabies Inoculation Certification Number must be provided to receive a City license. Applications are available from the cashier at City Hall.

Number of Pets: No one may keep or harbor more than a combined total of four dogs and/or cats, over the age of three months, in or about an dwelling unit.  Please note that any person who provides food or shelter to a stray animal is considered the owner of that animal.
Defecation Control: To walk a dog in Park Ridge, the dog must be on a leash and an implement or means for removing dog excrement must be carried. It is unlawful to leave your dog's excrement on any public or private property. Remember that animal excrement must not be allowed to accumulate even on your own property. Excrement must be disposed of properly.
Animal Bites: All dog and cat bites must be reported directly to the Police Department. Animals that have bitten or injured any person must be taken to a licensed veterinarian within 24 hours after the incident for a rabies examination. The animal must then be confined for a period of 10 days either at the veterinary hospital, if the animal did not have a current rabies vaccination, or at home. Call the Police Department for assistance to apprehend any wild or stray animal that has bitten someone. The animal must be examined for rabies in order for the injured person to avoid receiving preventative rabies inoculations.
Impoundment of Strays: Any dog found running at large (off the premises of the owner and not under control by a leash) within the City of Park Ridge may be impounded.
Noise: It is unlawful to allow a dog or cat to disturb the peace by barking, howling or whining.
Call the Police Department at 847-318-5252:
  1. To apprehend a dog at large.
  2. To report a barking dog that is disturbing the peace.
  3. To remove a wild animal that is within the inhabited area of your house.
  4. To report an animal not being cared for properly.
  5. To report an animal bite.
  6. To make arrangements for an animal to be removed from a city trap/cage.
Call the Public Works Department at 847-318-5240:
  1. To remove a dead animal from a public thoroughfare.
Call the Environmental Health Officer at 847-318-5281:
  1. To obtain information regarding insect, rodent or animal control.
  2. To report a nuisance created by a wild animal.
  3. To report a nuisance created by the accumulation of excrement from a neighbor's pet.
  4. To report a nuisance created by a cat.
* These regulations can be found in the Municipal Code, Article 5, Chapter 8 entitled "ANIMALS." Compliance with the City Animal Regulations is just a matter of practicing common courtesy toward your neighbors and your pet.

Bicycle Registration

Residents may register their bicycles at no charge with the Park Ridge Police Department. Please read  HERE for more information.

Block Parties

The City requires groups to fill out an application, (also available at City Hall), for a street closing, and requires the signatures of all neighbors, indicating their cooperation. A request for a special visit by a Fire Department vehicle should be made at least a week prior to the event by calling 847-318-6721. The Fire Department can only attend six block parties per day and are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. (If an emergency occurs, the fire vehicle may not be able to make an appearance.) Residents may also rent a sports equipment picnic kit from the Park District, please call 847-692-5127.

Consumer Protection

The City of Park Ridge does not operate a consumer protection bureau to respond to complaints associated with Park Ridge businesses. For more information, read HERE.


The curfew in Park Ridge is 11 pm - 6 am, Sunday through Thursday, and 12 am - 6 am, Friday and Saturday, for everyone under the age of 18.  Please read HERE for more Curfew information.

Emergency Notification

The City participates in a resident/employee notification system that can be used to notify citizens by telephone in emergencies or to provide citizens with important announcements. Please read HERE about Emergency Notification.

Flooded Basements

The City's brochure, "A Homeowners Guide to Flooded Basements," explains the problem and possible solutions, talks about precautions to take after a flood, and gives tips for cleaning up.

Garage Sales

The City requires residents to get a garage sale permit for every garage sale. There is no charge for the permit.  No more than three permits will be issued for the same location in any calendar year. Each permit will be good for a garage sale of not more than three consecutive days and only between the hours of 8 am and 8 pm The permit must be displayed at the location of the garage sale. Conducting a garage sale without a permit will result in a fine of not less than $50.

All Garage Sale applications must be filled out on-line. Click here to open the Garage Sale application, rules and to print your permit.

Handicapped Parking Program

Temporary disability parking placards (red), valid for up to 90 days, are available on a same-day basis at City Hall, township offices and any IL Department of Motor Vehicle facility upon presentation of a fully completed application form that includes your physician's certification.   The placard authorizes the handicapped individual to park a vehicle in a space designated for use by handicapped individuals. 
Long-term disability parking placards (blue) can only be issued by the Secretary of State’s office and are valid for up to four years. Applicants are required to have their physician certify and attest to the applicant’s eligibility under new state guidelines. Forms are available at City Hall, township offices or at any IL Department of Motor Vehicle facility or click HERE for the form; click HERE for the informational brochure.
Misuse of the permit can result in a fine up to $1,000 and a 30-day driver’s license suspension. Motorists illegally using a permit to park free in a metered space can be fined $100. Police are now authorized to enforce parking laws on private property and retail store lots. 


House Numbers

Each house, business or apartment building must display a house number in a conspicuous location at or near the entrance to the building. These numbers assist police and fire vehicles responding to emergency calls. Numbers must be at least three inches in height and of contrasting color so they can easily be seen from the street.

Leaf Raking

Raking leaves into the street is not permitted in Park Ridge. A violation carries a $50 minimum fine. Leaves should be placed in approved yard-waste bags or yard-waste carts.


Notary Service is available at City Hall during regular business hours at no charge to residents.  The City is unable to notarize any real estate documents for properties located in Cook County, Illinois.

Outdoor Water Restrictions

Outdoor water restrictions are in effect from May 15 through September 15. Residents may use water outdoors only on even or odd-numbered calendar days, corresponding with the last digit of their house number. Zero is considered an even number. Outdoor water use includes use on lawns, gardens, trees, shrubs and for washing vehicles. In addition to the above restrictions, outdoor water use shall not occur in the middle of any day, from noon to 6 p.m., when evaporation is at its highest. A special permit for watering newly installed sod, valid for two weeks, can be obtained at the Public Works Department at City Hall. Call 847-318-5228 for more information.

Parkway Policy

In all residential districts, only grass and trees may be placed in the parkways. Grass shall be maintained by the abutting property owner and trees will be maintained by the City. Other materials pose a safety hazard. Materials such as cobblestones, logs or railroad/landscape timbers are not allowed. Boulders up to 2' in diameter are allowed under certain conditions.  Call 847-318-5228 for further information.


For details on how to make payments to the City, please go HERE.

Public Safety Education/CPR and First Aid Classes

Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) classes, first-aid classes, fire extinguisher demonstrations, fire safety presentations, fire station tours, and Fire Safety House training tours are available through the Fire Department. Check HERE for further information.

Raffle License Application

It is necessary to obtain a one-time license to conduct any raffle in the City of Park Ridge. Information about a Raffle License can be found HERE.

Residential Solicitors

Information about Residential Solicitors can be found HERE.

Share-the-Cost Parkway Tree Planting Program

For information about share-the-cost parkway tree planting program, please call the City Forester at 847-318-5231.

Smoke Detectors

Every single and multi-family residential building must be provided with at least one smoke detector mounted within 15 feet of a sleeping area. Detectors must be installed in an approved manner and be maintained in working order at all times.

Snow Parking Restrictions

Parking is prohibited on both sides of streets designated as snow routes, after 2" of snow has fallen, until 24 hours after the snow stops. Residents may call 847-318-6101 for a recorded message as to whether snow parking restrictions are in effect. Most main streets are posted as snow routes. Vehicles parked here during snow parking restriction times will be ticketed and towed at the owner's expense. Parking is also prohibited as posted on the north and west sides of all other residential streets after 2" of snow has fallen, until 24 hours after the snow has stopped. If snow falls during the night, vehicles parked in violation of snow parking restrictions will be ticketed.

Tree Removals

Parkway Tree Removals - Parkway tree removals are performed by the City of Park Ridge. If you are concerned about the health of your parkway tree please call the Forestry Division at  847-318-5228.
Private Tree Removals - A permit is required for any private tree removal 10 inches or greater in diameter (measured 45 inches from the ground). A tree removal application may be applied for in the Building Department. For any tree removal questions, please call the Forestry Division at 847-318-5228.

Truck and Recreational Vehicle Parking

Trucks and recreational vehicles, including motor homes, campers, trailers, boats, etc., are subject to various parking restrictions in residential areas. Owners of such vehicles should contact the Department of Community Development for regulations regarding these vehicles.

Vehicle Licenses (Stickers)

All motor vehicles registered to Park Ridge residents require an annual City vehicle license that must be displayed on the vehicle. Licenses can be purchased at City Hall during normal business hours or by mail. Vehicle stickers expire on the third Friday of June each year.
The license fees are:
Passenger vehicle
Class B trucks (RVs & trucks, up to 8,000 lbs)
Class D trucks (8,001–12,000 lbs)
Class F trucks (12,001–16,000 lbs)
Class H trucks (16,001 lbs & above)
Livery License
Dog and Cat License

A penalty fee of $25 will be charged if a vehicle sticker is purchased after the third Friday of June. The penalty increases to $50 after the third Friday in September. A $75 citation for failure to purchase and display a vehicle sticker (license) may also be issued by the Park Ridge police.

All dogs and cats must also be licensed annually for a fee of $10 per year.

The City accepts Discover, MasterCard and Visa, when payments are made in person. City Hall is open from 8:00 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.

Voter Services

The City Clerk is Park Ridge’s local election official. The office works closely with the office of Cook County Clerk David Orr, Election Division, to determine accessible polling places; functions as deputy registrars to register voters, conducts in-person absentee voting prior to each election and certifies results from all referenda and local elections.
Residents of suburban Cook County can register to vote at the City Clerk's Office Mondays through Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Voter registration by Illinois law closes 28 days preceding an election and re-opens two days after election day.
Registration is necessary for anyone who has moved to Park Ridge or within Park Ridge. To be qualified to register to vote, you must be a U.S. citizen, at least 18 years of age by the date of the next election, and have resided in the precinct at least 30 days prior to the date of the election.
Registration is best conducted in person and two forms of identification are required, one showing the address of the registrant. Acceptable ID includes Driver's license, utility bill in applicant's name; employee, public assistance or student I.D; printed checkbook with applicant's name and residence address; birth certificate; mail postmarked to applicant's current address from a federal, state or city agency, utility, etc. Registration can be done by mail application but voter must vote in person, not absentee.
Naturalized citizens must provide the date and the location of their naturalization. For further information, call City Hall at 847-318-5464.
After receiving your application, the Clerk's office will mail you a voter identification card within a few weeks. You may also verify your registration at or by calling 312-603-0906.

Change of Name

Voters who legally change their name no longer have to re-register. If you have changed your name, you can vote after updating your information at the polls.
Park Ridge City Hall, 505 Butler Place, Park Ridge, IL 60068 | (847) 318-5200 | Hours: Mon - Fri: 8:00am - 5:00pm
© 2010 City of Park Ridge. All Rights Reserved.